22 Eylül 2012 Cumartesi

Tips from a recent college grad on how to land a spot at a do-good place

Just last Spring, Cassie Recker prepared to graduate from the University of Indiana by searching high and low, on land, by phone and on the many, many, many paths laid before her online for something of purpose to pursue after college.

President of the TOMS Campus Club at Indiana University, Cassie committed herself to spreading the word about movements, organizations, companies and campaigns that inspired her, and so she hoped to follow that commitment post-commencement. One day, she stumbled upon a few that likened a company called ESPEROS to the One for One promise that’s the backbone of TOMS, and after some exploring what that meant and reaching out by email, she landed herself an internship at a company she believes in.

ESPEROS is a backpack company that funds children’s education, founded on the idea that, in Central America, a child can be educated on US$20 per year.

Of becoming an intern, Cassie said, “It was surprisingly simple, actually. I loved the idea of providing education for development, and this company was helping do that. So, I emailed the team in Austin, Texas to explain my passion for the cause and who I am, and now I work remotely from Bloomington.”

We asked Cassie to break out some tips for young folks looking for places to look for good projects. Here’s what she said….

-Simple as it is: go for it! 

Social enterprise is the way to go, and there are new organizations and companies popping up all the time now that really get it. If you’re into what they stand for, reach out and tell them why.

-If you’re turned down, don’t turn away. 

I sent more emails than I can even recall, but I kept searching and following leads from every organization and company that I thought was cool. If they worked with another good group, I looked into that group, and may have applied there too.

-You may have to start unpaid, but do what you can to make it work. 

Especially with start-up ventures, anything helps. So if your situation seems complicated, simplify it and present why it’s good for everyone. For example, I could not have worked without pay in Austin because I would have to move, so I am working hard, but remotely and offering my skills in the way that I can.

-Don’t wait until you’re job-hunting to get involved in things you care about!

Join clubs built around your passions and build relationships with organizations, companies and groups that stand behind those clubs. Those relationships, along with the ones you’ll form with your peers who are equally as passionate, are a great way to set you in the direction you need to go.

-Ask, ask, ask…and then really listen.

Don’t assume you know everyone’s story based on their website’s description. When you reach out, ask questions, and then pay close attention to the details of how people respond. This usually tells a lot about the level of passion behind a project. The same goes for me now, as I help build a campus presence for ESPEROS. For every 65 emails I send to students about their interest in spreading the word on campus, I maybe get 15 responses. This could be discouraging, except the people that do respond have passion that is so inspiring that it makes the whole process worth it. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder